2022 Upper Colorado River Basin Tour
June 15-17, 2022
Our annual river basin tour was held June 15-17, 2022. The tour focused on the Upper Colorado River Basin.
Around 50 water professionals, agricultural producers, elected officials, educators, and interested community members had the opportunity to ride on our coach bus tour of the Upper Colorado River Basin.
As part of recognizing the 100th anniversary of the Colorado River Compact, WEco’s 2022 tour featured:
- Multiple Colorado Western Slope watersheds within the Upper Colorado River system
- Speakers from a diversity of perspectives who are grappling with the future of Colorado River management, restoration, and protection within Colorado
- On-the-ground projects, research and examples of program implementation
- Three full days of in-field learning covering a broad geographic reach
Check out the final itinerary. We visited and learned at these sites and more:
Moffat Tunnel, irrigation research sites, critical fish habitat in the 15 Mile Reach, a Grand Valley farm/vineyard, Blue Mesa Dam and Reservoir, and much, much more!
Tour topics included:
- Colorado River Compact: Colorado River Compact and Law of the River
- Climate and Hydrology
- Transbasin Diversions
- Collaborative Environmental Management (Endangered Species, Salinity Control)
- Diversion monitoring and compliance
- Agriculture & Industry sustained by Colorado River water (East and West Slope)
- Upper Colorado storage systems, relation to Lake Powell contributions
- Tribal water settlements and their implementation
- Drought Response Operations Plan
- Research and Field Work to advance Irrigation Efficiency and Conserved Consumptive Use in western agriculture
Cost and inclusions:
Cost: After May 1, $995 WEco member/$1,045 non-WEco member
A limited number of partial scholarships were available, thanks to our sponsors.
This three-day tour included lunches on all three days and dinners on June 15 and 16. We were unable to offer single or two-day registrations. Hotels for the nights of June 15 (Glenwood Springs) and June 16 (Montrose) were included in the registration c st. Complimentary hotel breakfast was included for the mornings of June 16 and 17.
For questions about the tour, please contact Sabrina White by email at email@example.com or call 720-325-1088.