Yesterday U.S. Senators Mark Udall and Michael Bennet introduced a resolution recognizing 2012 as the “Year of Water” in Colorado. From the United States Senate press release:
The resolution also honors the importance of water to Colorado and a series of water organizations that have helped educate the public about water and developed, managed and conserved Colorado’s rivers and waterways. The senators introduced the resolution in conjunction with Colorado Water 2012, a statewide celebration of water in Colorado.
“Wayne Aspinall once said, ‘In the West, when you touch water, you touch everything,'” Udall said. “In this year, one of the driest in recent memory, it is especially appropriate that we reflect not only on the importance of water throughout the history of Colorado and the West, but also on the organizations that have been the stewards of this critical resource. It is because of these organizations that Coloradans can enjoy the full benefits of our rivers and future Coloradans will have water within reach – in their fields, forests and mountains.”
“In Colorado, we understand that water is one of the most precious resources in our state and throughout the West,” Bennet said. “I commend the organizations throughout our state that are doing excellent work protecting our water assets. I look forward to continuing to work with Senator Udall to ensure that future generations will be able to enjoy Colorado’s waterways and the resources they provide.”
The resolution recognizes:
- The Colorado Water Conservation Board, the Colorado River District and the Northern Water District, which each are celebrating their 75th anniversaries this year;
- The Rio Grande Reservoir, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year;
- The Colorado River Compact of 1922, which is celebrating its 90th anniversary this year;
- The Fryingpan-Arkansas Project, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year; and,
- The Colorado Foundation for Water Education and Lower Arkansas Valley Water Conservancy District, which are celebrating their 10th anniversaries this year.