In Brief: Deadly amoeba found in Texas town’s water supply

This week, USA Today reported that naegleria fowleri, a microscopic amoeba that causes deadly infections, was found in Lake Jackson, Texas. Health officials began investigating after 6-year-old Josh McIntyre died after contracting the microbe.

According to USA TODAY, Lake Jackson City Manager Modesto Mundo stated that three of 11 sample tests indicated preliminary positive results from the brain-eating microbe. Environmental officials in Texas lifted an initial order telling the Houston-area community to stop using tap water. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has now issued a notice to boil the water for drinking and cooking and advised residents to prevent water from getting into their nose.

Read more on this story from USA TODAY.

Independent, non-partisan journalism costs money. Please support Fresh Water News by making a donation now.

Translate »